1. Join Date
    Mar 2011

Gillespie Residence by J. Cheng

This is my first post on this forum and my first attempt at entering a rendering competition.

The subject for my visualisation will be the "Gillespie Residence" (Vancouver, BC, CA) by James K. M. Cheng Architects Inc.

Image courtesy of Martin Tessler.

I was hoping to get hold of the plans for the building, but it looks like they probably won't be available in time (if at all). Instead I have begun work using photo match in Sketchup - as well as a good amount of guesswork.
  2. Join Date
    Mar 2011

Modelling Update

I think I've got the basic structure nailed, but there's still a lot of work to be done on detailing and the surrounding landscape before I can move on to texturing.

Modelled in Sketchup and rendered with Thea.
    Last edited by Hieru; 2011-05-06 at 02:22 AM.
  3. Join Date
    Mar 2011

I jumped the gun a bit with my first test render - there was still quite a lot of modelling left to do.

Anyway, now that I've finished most of the modelling (except the landscaping/vegetation) I thought that it would be a good idea to post an image of my progress so far in Sketchup. I won't post any more renders until I've completely finished in Sketchup.

The background tree line is courtesy of Olishea (Sketchucation forum) - made using images from CG Textures. The excellent suite of Mies van der Rohe furniture is courtesy of Gus R (also Sketchucation forum).
  4. Join Date
    Mar 2011

With the addition of landscaping, vegetation*, proxy trees and instancing elements (pebbles, grass & shrubs) modelling is now complete. Additional vegetation will be added when the model is exported to the render studio I'm using.

Next stage is texturing within Sketchup.

*Special mention should go to Pixero (Sketchucation forum) who provided the hornbeam hedges/shrubs.
    Last edited by Hieru; 2011-05-15 at 02:44 AM.
  5. Join Date
    Mar 2011

Texturing in Sketchup is now complete.

Most base textures are from CG Textures or TurboSquid, which I then changed and enhanced for use with the model.
  6. Join Date
    Mar 2011

Just checking that everything exported out of Sketchup OK.

Now it's time to have some fun with additional vegetation and instancing.

Edit: Thought I'd just run a quick biased render to see how much work I need to do on materials (no changes to the raw SU applied materials except the glass & water).
    Last edited by Hieru; 2011-05-17 at 07:22 PM.
  7. Join Date
    Mar 2011

All the 3D elements are now in place. The pebbles are probably overkill for a mid-distance detail, but I wasn't getting the results I wanted from displacement.

I've just got to work on the textures and lighting before creating my final render output and moving into post-pro.

Edit: Added a quick biased lighting test.
    Last edited by Hieru; 2011-05-20 at 09:56 PM.
  8. Join Date
    Mar 2011

I'm still a bit confused about when the competition ends, so in the even that the deadline is midnight tonight (UK time), this is my final image for submission.

If the deadline is the end of Monday, I'll post a new image tomorrow.

Rendered with Thea and post-pro in Photoshop.

Edit: Now that I know that I've got extra time to correct some material problems and run a better render, consider the attached another WIP.
    Last edited by Hieru; 2011-05-23 at 01:18 PM.
  9. Join Date
    Mar 2011

OK, here is my final image.

Software info and model/texture credits are detailed in the WIP posts. I learnt a great deal constructing this image and had a lot of fun putting together what I consider to be my first half-decent exterior render.

I could have done with a bit more time to work on the final render, but I completely misjudged how much time I would need to produce a large format image.

Good luck everyone!!!
You need to be logged in to leave a comment. You don't have account? Register now.
Best of Evermotion
The best works from the Forum Gallery picked by Evermotion staff