Oct 2015

Secret Garden Challenge 2016

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sg4000icon.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	325.3 KB 
ID:	174011

Hi everybody

Thank you again Evermotion for organising a new challenge and wish everybody best of luck!
    A lot happened to me since last year competition, many great things professionally but also personally as I'm a mum of a cute baby girl almost 3 months old ... so I was in doubt if I'll even be able to participate in this year's competition but the subject is again so unbelievably tempting that it just made me give it a try even if I'm aware I might not gona be able to finish it with this occasion.

I always wanted to create a secret garden scene, a space of mister and tranquillity where almost supernatural things can take place... but the time is very limited for me right now as I care for my baby so I really don't have time to work properly on this but still, I would like to play with the lighting, space and materials so this will be my focus in this project.
    I will mainly use ready made models for this scene, models I won or bought from Evermotion and also other models from my library and the only models I created are the ones in Marvelous Designer for cloth simulation. As for the render engine, I was invited to try Vray 3.5 beta so I thought to give it a go this time although I was going to use Corona 1.5 at first. I still want to use also Corona if I'll have the time.

About my secret garden... I have many ideas about the subject as it is so dear to me, but I had to choose something simple this time so trying to create a summer night atmosphere in a backyard garden where there's place for a lot of improvisation in terms of furniture and decoration and also lighting. A space where you can meditate, invite close friends for drinks and chat, organise a girls night and so on.

The inspiration board is kind of like this:

Name:	secretgarden-moodboard.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	173425

and this is the first composition setup:

Name:	comp1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	173426

MD work:

Name:	MDfiles.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	777.8 KB 
ID:	173427

Name:	MDitems.jpg 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	173428

First HDRI setup with a sunset very dark so I can play with light bulbs later on. I intend to add the artificial lighting after I get a feeling for the amount of darkness would naturally be in the scene:

Name:	testrenders.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	173429

Thanks for viewing!
    Last edited by evnvis; 2017-01-15 at 10:25 AM.
  2. Join Date
    Oct 2015

hi again. did a bit lights testing and after trying a few intensities it occurred to me that Corona 1.5 has this amazin feature that you can dial the lights up and down in intensity after you finish rendering. I'm considering using Corona after I render the V-ray scene, hopefully I'll have time...

these are the few tests and also i introduced more elements and details including using the GrowIvy plugin

Name:	growivy.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	665.0 KB 
ID:	173737Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lightstest1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	517.6 KB 
ID:	173738Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lightstest2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	501.1 KB 
ID:	173739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lightstest3.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	511.3 KB 
ID:	173740

and more lights testing

Name:	lighttest1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	605.0 KB 
ID:	173741Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lighttest2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	501.4 KB 
ID:	173742Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lighttest3.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	413.2 KB 
ID:	173743Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lighttest4.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	418.7 KB 
ID:	173744
  3. Join Date
    Oct 2015

right so another test this time with textures on

Name:	SGtest2rr+knoll.jpg 
Size:	449.9 KB 
ID:	173853

I played a bit with the styling as I would like to make it look like a polaroid picture in the end

Name:	SGtest2rrpolaroid.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	382.5 KB 
ID:	173854

next I'll render a bigger version with V-ray and switch back to Corona

thanks for viewing
  4. Join Date
    Oct 2015

v-ay 4000px render

Name:	v-ray4000.jpg 
Size:	821.8 KB 
ID:	174007

just playing with Analog EfexPro (really cool free plugin from google) trying different styles for the post

Name:	sg2000+effex.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	611.6 KB 
ID:	174008 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sg2000+effex2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	367.1 KB 
ID:	174009
  5. Join Date
    Oct 2015

...so trying to find few hours here and there to render the scene with Corona. I reset the scene a bit using a few more assets I modelled and also from the Evermotion collections. I'm trying different photometric lights for my lightbulbs and generally adding more detail and setting the mood...

Name:	corona-lighting-scene-re.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	445.3 KB 
ID:	174444 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	corona-scene-re.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	174446

for the lighting - again: got the sunset in the background (contre-jour) and 2 rows of lightbulbs now

Name:	corona-scene-lighttesttest.jpg 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	174443
    Attached Thumbnails

Name:	corona-scene-lighttesttest-re.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	633.4 KB 
ID:	174445

6. Join Date
    Oct 2015

happy new year everyone!

I must say I've kind of reached a dead end with my render. I'll tell you all about it
    I've been trying different photometric lights for the lightbulbs in my scene and finally got one that I find acceptable and then I tried to render a 4k resolution... also playing with the Interactive LightMix in Corona which by the way is awesome, the way you can tweak each light and even colour of the light and also the glow and bloom effects and all LUT and gamma... just awesome... but you really have to have a system that sustains all this play for 32 lights at 4k so... I found out mine doesn't

Name:	Untitled-3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	723.0 KB 
ID:	175228

which kind of shattered my plans... but... I will still try to regroup efforts in a different strategy just redoing the lighting in my scene directly and maybe making those lightbulbs look more realistic which I think for the moment don't!

so who knows if i'll have time to submit a final for this competition but I'll try. If not, I'll still try to finalise it at some point in my existence )

cheers
  7. Join Date
    Oct 2015

hi, i will eventually make a final submission although I must say I'm really disappointed with my render, first of all I couldn't use the LightMix and second I couldn't save the denoising version because it crashed several times although I worked with proxies. Anyway considering I really didn't put much time into it and rendering isn't my priority these days...
  8. Join Date
    Oct 2015

I'm not sure which one to submit yet

this one

Name:	secret_garden.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	827.7 KB 
ID:	176794

or this one

Name:	secret_garden2000.jpg 
Size:	604.8 KB 
ID:	176795
  9. Join Date
    Oct 2015

Final entry

doesn't matter anyway sleep deprivation is getting to my brain ) I will submit the darker one and that's that.

Final submission:

Name:	secret_garden_final-entry.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	823.6 KB 
ID:	176831

Software: Marvelous Designer, 3ds max, Corona and for post Photoshop (Magic Bullet and Knoll Light Factory)
    Models from Evermotion Collections - Archmodels for Corona (trees), Vol 160 and Archinteriors Vol 41 and Vol 30; CG Axis and modelled myself the framework and the cloth simulation

the raw render:

Name:	beauty.jpg 
Size:	860.5 KB 
ID:	176832

Thank you very much!
You need to be logged in to leave a comment. You don't have account? Register now.
Best of Evermotion
The best works from the Forum Gallery picked by Evermotion staff